GEORGIA  (en español)

Last updated on January 27, 2017 by Thahab Hawsa. (Please consider sending us a contribution at our office address specifically to help cover the administrative costs of updating this database – click here)

Please note that the information given here is intended as a general guideline. Please look into the specifics in your state to determine definitely if you qualify for one of the benefits listed here.  Your living organ donor coordinator may be a good resource for such information.

Most benefits are available in the state where you live, but also check for potential benefits in the state where you are donating if you are donating outside the state where you live.

Please discuss with your organ recipient options that may be available through his or her insurance.  Some private insurance companies offer transplant recipients travel and lodging benefits but do not care if recipients use that benefit themselves, or for a companion caregiver, or a donor.

There is one Federal program that provides money for travel and subsistence living for donors whose recipients can demonstrate need, please go to for more details.

All Federal Employees are eligible to take up to 30 days a year of paid leave for donating organs or seven days of paid leave for donating bone marrow. 5 U.S.C. § 6327.

Georgia state employees are entitled to up to 7 days of paid leave for bone marrow donation and up to 30 days paid leave for solid organ donation. Ga. Code § 45-20-31. If you work for a local government, please ask your human resources official if a similar provision has been adopted at your level of government.

Georgia credits living organ donors up to $10,000 from their state income taxes for travel, lodging, and lost wages related to donation. Ga. Code § 48-7-27.

For statutory changes, see  For possible legislation under consideration, please see For executive orders, see

Private Charity: The Georgia Transplant Foundation,, helps organ transplant candidates, living donors, recipients and their families by providing information and education regarding organ transplantation and by granting financial assistance.

If you work for a private company, check with your employer about the possibility of employer sponsored donation related paid leave.

Check with the living organ donor coordinator and/or transplant social worker at the transplant center where you plan to donate for more information about local organizations that support living donors.


Private non-government groups

(Many of these groups are set up to help transplant recipients but will also help organ donors) 

TripleHeart aims to help transplant patients all over the world by meeting their needs, answering their questions, and taking care of other concerns. It’s online forum contains a community of transplant patients who can interact and support each other in a variety of different ways.

The “Other Living Donor Support Organizations” button on the right hand side of our home page lists some national organizations that may be of financial assistance.


Potential Sources for Local Non-Financial Assistance

These are organizations that have volunteer programs that help the elderly or disabled, but would probably also help recovering living organ donors if the situation is explained to them. It will take some discussion for them to even understand what living organ donation is and why donors need post-donation help, but once a relationship is established, you will have opened the door for other donors also to get help. The services offered vary, anything from running errands, rides to doctor’s appointments, and light yard work or housekeeping. Check with each organization individually to see if their volunteer services might be of assistance to you during your recovery after donation surgery.



Volunteer Aging Council
Email: N/A
Phone: (678) 269-6677



I Care
Email: N/A
Phone: (404) 377-2273



MOW Senior Companion Program
Phone: (404) 351-3889

Senior Services North Fulton
Email: N/A
Phone: (770) 993-1906



Volunteer Gwinnett Senior Services
Email: N/A
Phone: (678) 377-4150