MASSACHUSETTS (en español)  

Last updated on February 1, 2017 by Thahab Hawsa. (Please consider sending us a contribution at our office address specifically to help cover the administrative costs of updating this database – click here)

Please note that the information given here is intended as a general guideline. Please look into the specifics in your state to determine definitely if you qualify for one of the benefits listed here.  Your living organ donor coordinator may be a good resource for such information.

Most benefits are available in the state where you live, but also check for potential benefits in the state where you are donating if you are donating outside the state where you live.

Please discuss with your organ recipient options that may be available through his or her insurance.  Some private insurance companies offer transplant recipients travel and lodging benefits but do not care if recipients use that benefit themselves, or for a companion caregiver, or a donor.

There is one Federal program that provides money for travel and subsistence living for donors whose recipients can demonstrate need, please go to for more details.

All Federal Employees are eligible to take up to 30 days a year of paid leave for donating organs or seven days of paid leave for donating bone marrow. 5 U.S.C. § 6327.

Massachusetts state, county, city, and certain municipal employees may take up to 30 days paid leave in any calendar year for solid organ donation. Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 149, § 33E. If you work for a local government, please ask your human resources official if a similar provision has been adopted at your level of government.

An individual who donates an organ in Massachusetts may deduct up to $10,000 from their state taxes for travel expenses, lodging expenses, and lost wages incurred in connection with the donation of bone marrow or a solid organ. Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 62, § 3(B)(a)(16).

For statutory updates, see To check for legislation under consideration, please see  To check executive orders, see

If you work for a private company, check with your employer about the possibility of employer sponsored donation related paid leave.

Check with the living organ donor coordinator and/or transplant social worker at the transplant center where you plan to donate for more information about local organizations that support living donors.


Private non-government groups

(Many of these groups are set up to help transplant recipients but will also help organ donors) 

The United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) aims to help donors better make a decision about donating. They also provide information for support groups for after the operation.

The Massachusetts General Hospital Transplant Center provides information about the transplant procedure so donors and recipients are safe as well as providing links and information about courses of action succeeding the transplant.

The “Other Living Donor Support Organizations” button on the right hand side of our home page lists some national organizations that may be of financial assistance.


Potential Sources for Local Non-Financial Assistance

These are organizations that have volunteer programs that help the elderly or disabled, but would probably also help recovering living organ donors if the situation is explained to them. It will take some discussion for them to even understand what living organ donation is and why donors need post-donation help, but once a relationship is established, you will have opened the door for other donors also to get help. The services offered vary, anything from running errands, rides to doctor’s appointments, and light yard work or housekeeping. Check with each organization individually to see if their volunteer services might be of assistance to you during your recovery after donation surgery

Bristol County

The Arc
Phone: (888) 343-3301


Essex County

Senior Care
Phone: (978) 281-1750


Suffolk County

Central Boston Elder Services
Phone: (617) 277-7416

Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly
Phone: (617) 524-8882