MISSISSIPPI (en español)

Last updated on February 1, 2017 by Thahab Hawsa. (Please consider sending us a contribution at our office address specifically to help cover the administrative costs of updating this database – click here)

Please note that the information given here is intended as a general guideline. Please look into the specifics in your state to determine definitely if you qualify for one of the benefits listed here.  Your living organ donor coordinator may be a good resource for such information.

Most benefits are available in the state where you live, but also check for potential benefits in the state where you are donating if you are donating outside the state where you live.

Please discuss with your organ recipient options that may be available through his or her insurance.  Some private insurance companies offer transplant recipients travel and lodging benefits but do not care if recipients use that benefit themselves, or for a companion caregiver, or a donor.

There is one Federal program that provides money for travel and subsistence living for donors whose recipients can demonstrate need, please go to http://www.livingdonorassistance.org for more details.

All Federal Employees are eligible to take up to 30 days a year of paid leave for donating organs or seven days of paid leave for donating bone marrow. 5 U.S.C. § 6327.

Mississippi state employees are allowed up to 30 days of paid leave to donate either bone marrow or a solid organ in a 12-month period and cannot be required to use sick days or vacation days before becoming eligible for this leave. Miss. Code § 25-3-103. If you work for a local government, please ask your human resources official if a similar provision has been adopted at your level of government.

Mississippi living donors are allowed to deduct up to $10,000 on their state income taxes for travel, lodging, and lost wages related to the donation. Miss. Code § 27-7-18.

For statutory updates, see http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/.  For possible legislative action, see http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/sessions.htm.  For executive orders, please see http://www.governorbryant.com/executive-orders/.

If you work for a private company, check with your employer about the possibility of employer sponsored donation related paid  leave.

Check with the living organ donor coordinator and/or transplant social worker at the transplant center where you plan to donate for more information about local organizations that support living donors.


Private non-government groups

(Many of these groups are set up to help transplant recipients but will also help organ donors) 

The United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) aims to help donors better make a decision about donating. They also provide information for support groups for after the operation.

The “Other Living Donor Support Organizations” button on the right hand side of our home page lists some national organizations that may be of assistance.