PENNSYLVANIA (en español)

Last updated on February 4, 2017 by Thahab Hawsa. (Please consider sending us a contribution at our office address specifically to help cover the administrative costs of updating this database – click here)

Please note that the information given here is intended as a general guideline. Please look into the specifics in your state to determine definitely if you qualify for one of the benefits listed here.  Your living organ donor coordinator may be a good resource for such information.

Most benefits are available in the state where you live, but also check for potential benefits in the state where you are donating if you are donating outside the state where you live.

Please discuss with your organ recipient options that may be available through his or her insurance.  Some private insurance companies offer transplant recipients travel and lodging benefits but do not care if recipients use that benefit themselves, or for a companion caregiver, or a donor.

There is one Federal program that provides money for travel and subsistence living for donors whose recipients can demonstrate need, please go to for more details.

All Federal Employees are eligible to take up to 30 days a year of paid leave for donating organs or seven days of paid leave for donating bone marrow. 5 U.S.C. § 6327.

Pennsylvania has no donor leave statute for state employees. If you work for a local government, please ask your human resources official if a living organ donor leave policy has been adopted at your level of government.

Pennsylvania offers employer tax credits for organ or bone marrow donation related expenses equal to the amount of wages paid to an employee on organ donation leave (not to exceed 5 working days) plus the cost of temporary replacement help, if any. These credits can be carried forward for up to three years. 72 Pa. Stat. § 8803.

Pennsylvania allows up to $10,000 in state income tax credit for donation related expenses. (SB 1448).

For statutory updates go to, and For changes under consideration in the legislature, go to For executive orders, see

If you work for a private company, check with your employer about the possibility of employer sponsored donation related paid  leave.

Check with the living organ donor coordinator and/or transplant social worker at the transplant center where you plan to donate for more information about local organizations that support living donors.

Pennsylvania resources:

Map and list of transplant centers in Pennsylvania is available at

Gift of Life Donor Program at 215-557-8090 (If you are considering non-directed donation).


Private non-government groups

(Many of these groups are set up to help transplant recipients but will also help organ donors)

The Pinnacle Health Transplant Services Support Group at the Pinnacle Health Campus provides information and support for transplant patients to help them get through their recovery.

The Second Chance Heart TX Support Group’s purpose is to provide a place where medical experiences can be shared among members, provide public education and awareness on donation and organ transplant matters, and to raise funds to support the aforementioned purposes.

The Western PA Kidney support group aims to improve the health of kidney patients and transplant members through learning more about the disease and providing support and guidance towards the members.

The “Other Living Donor Support Organizations” button on the right hand side of our home page lists some national organizations that may be of financial assistance.

Potential Sources for Local Non-Financial Assistance

These are organizations that have volunteer programs that help the elderly or disabled, but would probably also help recovering living organ donors if the situation is explained to them. It will take some discussion for them to even understand what living organ donation is and why donors need post-donation help, but once a relationship is established, you will have opened the door for other donors also to get help. The services offered vary, anything from running errands, rides to doctor’s appointments, and light yard work or housekeeping. Check with each organization individually to see if their volunteer services might be of assistance to you during your recovery after donation surgery.

Chester County

Surrey Services for Seniors
Phone: (610) 647-6404


Delaware County

Elder Net
Phone: (610) 525-0706

Surrey Services for Seniors
Phone: (610) 647-6404


Montgomery County

Surrey Services for Seniors
Phone: (610) 647-6404

Philadelphia County

Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly
Phone: (215) 765-8118

PCA Cares
Phone: (215) 765-9040

Surrey Services for Seniors
Phone: (610) 647-6404